Where is the GWA office located?
We are located along Route 1, Upper Tumon near the Department of Public Works and behind GTA.
Click here for directions and map

Where can I pay my water bill?
Customers can come into our office un Upper Tumon to make payment. You can also pay your water bill at any Guam Power Authority cashier; either at their Harmon office next to McDonald's or at its satellite office in Agat near the mayor's office as well as the Agana Shopping Center.

How do I establish an account with GWA?
Please fill out and print the "Water and/or Sewer Information Sheet" (click on link) and bring to our office.

There are a couple of documents needed to establish an account. When applying for reconnection, you will need either the previous tenant’s name or the meter number so the meter would be properly identified. If you are renting, you will also need authorization from the landlord. NOTE: If you are applying for another person, you must submit an authorization letter from that individual along with the required information listed above. If you are building a new house or other establishment you must provide at least one of three documents:
1. building permit
2. title of ownership
3. or warranty deed
Your application is then routed to the inspection division. The inspector will survey the area before informing the customer on the amount due on the project. Upon payment, the customer will be processed and will establish a new account.

How much does it cost to hook up water and sewer?
The normal size for residential is a ¾” pipe line. A deposit of $32 is required for an existing water line with a monthly charge of $8.69 and $2.40 per thousand gallons for the first 5000 gallons. Over 5000 gallons is assessed $4.14 per thousand gallons. The deposit rates increase with larger service pipes. (see chart below)
A $20 deposit is required for an existing sewer service line with a $22 monthly charge for residential customers. The sewer deposit is greater for the different commercial categories. (see chart below)

Water service deposit





















Sewer service deposit



  Commercial I


 Commercial II


  Commercial III


  Metered Industrial


How long does it take to get hooked up?
For regular reinstallation to a residence with water access, the hookup usually takes place the day or two days following the application. Installations to newly built homes normally take four to six weeks. The inspectors need about two weeks to assess the amount for payment required. Installation usually takes place within four weeks of the payment.

I'm leaving island and I want to discontinue service. What steps do I take to disconnect?
GWA would like to have as much advanced notice as possible. This will allow us to coordinate in a timely fashion to get a final reading of your meter before disconnection and final payment. One to two weeks in advance is adequate.

The water is off at my house, what happened?
A number of things could be the cause. A water leak or main break near your home would cause low pressure and possibly no water.
Higher consumption over production is another way one can lose water pressure. During peak hours (6-9 a.m. and 5-10 p.m.) and weekends, the demand for water is greater than the production capacity in some areas of the island. Most affected during these times are residents on higher elevations, at the end of service lines or is part of a number of households being served with a two-inch line. GWA is in the process of addressing these areas and have capital improvement plans for major upgrade.

Is Guam’s tap water safe to drink?
Guam’s drinking water is most definitely safe to drink! Guam’s water system is tested continuously to ensure the safety of your drinking water. The routine microbiological test we perform on the distribution system looks for the presence of indicator organisms called coliform bacteria.
Strict federal regulations from the Safe Drinking Water Act presses the agency to abide by these laws.

What is FOG?
FOG stands for Fats, Oil and Grease. Grease is the common term for animal fats and vegetable oils. Why is FOG A Problem When grease enters our sewer system, it acts much the same way as it does when it sticks to your pots and pans – it collects on the pipe walls and builds up until there is a clog. When a sewer line clogs, the pressure has to be released somewhere. Generally this is the lowest point available – which may mean backing up into the establishment that caused the grease, or in another building between there and the back-up. The sewage may also find a manhole and overflow – in which case it is not only a serious public health hazard, but if it gets into a stormdrain and into the ocean, it’s an environmental problem as well.

I got a letter saying I have to have a grease trap, but I’m not a restaurant and don’t prepare food. Why did I get the letter and what do I have to do?
GWA does not have a list of restaurants – commercial establishments are listed by billing code, not specific activity. Therefore GWA sent letters to all commercial establishments notifying them of the requirements. If you are not a restaurant or food preparation facility you may, as stated in the Remarks line of the letter, ignore it.

I am a restaurant or food service facility with a small grease trap under my sink. Is that okay?
These types of traps are not effective, and generally allow more grease to enter the sewer than they stop. If you have this type and you have a very small operation, you must have it pumped out weekly while you install a larger trap.

I have a big tank type trap in my kitchen. How often do I need to clean it?
You need to clean the trap any time it is more than 25% full. For an interior trap, this is generally once a week. GWA may approve this type of trap in certain limited cases, but you need to obtain an exterior in-ground trap as soon as possible.

I have a tank outside my building with two manhole covers and a baffle. How often do I need to clean it?
Congratulations on being so close to compliance. You need to have your tank pumped whenever it is 25% full, and fully emptied and inspected annually. If you don’t have any pumping history, start by having it pumped out every 30 days.

I have an exterior tank that is not connected to the sewer. Do I still need a grease trap connected to my sink(s)?
Yes, you will still need to have a trap connected to your drains. If you have good maintenance records of you exterior trap, you may be able to size your interior trap a bit smaller to save money. Also, you can save money by performing management practices like scraping and wiping so that all grease does not end up in your external tank. How can I save money on pumping costs? Keep grease out of your sewers by wiping, scraping and disposing of grease. Reducing the load to your grease trap will reduce the frequency and cost of pump-out. I don’t have a grease trap. How long do I have to install one and where do I start? Your grease trap will need to be designed to treat the expected volume of grease from your facility. Your first step should be to hire an engineer, who can give you the best information regarding sizing and location. You should plan to have one installed within six months, or by September 2007.

I just rent my facility. Who is responsible for installing the grease trap?
In the case of a multi-tenant facility with several restaurants or a food court, the landlord will be responsible unless you have a lease that says otherwise. In the case of a single tenant facility, it will depend upon your lease conditions. I am a hotel or landlord with several restaurants. Can I have one trap for all of them? Yes, if properly sized and maintained. My vendor says I can get a special additive that will keep the grease out of my system. Can I use it?
Generally these types of additives just move the grease to the sewer, where it frequently backs up right back into the facility that used the additive. Most additives are not allowed, and of the one kind that is, it has not been proven effective in grease traps. There is no magic bullet.

What happens if I don’t comply?
Guam EPA can cite your facility for grease trap violations. As a last resort, GWA can shut off your water. However, keeping sewers clear has such obvious benefits for everyone that GWA is confident that everyone will comply! Thank you for your on-going efforts to keep Guam’s sewers FAT FREE!